Airport Travel Tips
You may have seen these airport travel tips but they are worth repeating as we get ready for our winter dive travel to tropical destinations.
- Getting through security checkpoints is always a major hassle. A little preparation can save you time and aggravation. Be mindful of the carry-on restrictions. Before your trip, stock up on small travel-size toiletries that are allowed for carry-on. This may also reduce your bag weight.
- If you are travelling internationally, weigh your bags before you leave home and again, be mindful of weight limits as they differ from airline to airline. You may also have to weigh your carry-on bags so remember the check specific airline restrictions and weigh your carry-on before you leave for the airport.
- There are a number of smartphone apps available to help navigate airport terminals. Gate Guru (www.gateguru.com) is a favorite as well as Seat Guru (www.seatguru.com) for getting that seat with a bit more leg room. If travelling through the US, TSA information is also available (http://apps.tsa.dhs.gov/mytsa/).
- A common trick to save a couple of bucks….carry an empty water bottle. Many airports now have water bottle fill stations near drinking fountains. You can avoid the high price of bottled water at post-security shops and restaurants.
- Many people are right-handed and tend to choose checkpoint and immigration lines to the right. You may find lines to the left shorter with less of a wait. Of course, signing up for the TSA Pre-check program can also save you time and hassles in security line.
- We have changed our dive gear bags from soft-side bags with rollers to lighter canvas sport duffel bags and we have saved close to 10 pounds in bag weight. We do need to get luggage carts now but we rarely worry about dive gear weight, and when we are on a liveaboard with limited storage space, these soft duffel bags compress to save cabin space.
- Take a photo of your boarding pass with your smartphone. Then you won't have to worry about opening your email program to find the boarding pass. We also take photos of our travel documents, passports, C-cards, and other personal records that might get misplaced. Check out our smartphone app as it has a section just for this purpose (Liquid Diving Adventures on the Apple app store or Google Play).
- That camera in your smartphone can be used to take pics of your luggage, your parking lot location and other common travel events that you may forget after a week of scuba diving. Use that phone for more than just selfies…!
- We have started to purchase a bottle of wine or other alcohol at duty free. We don't save much on the cost of the bottle but it can really save on the resort bar tab. You might consider some of the mini-bottles of alcoholic beverages to mix with a free soft drink on the plane. Just remember to pack them in a plastic baggie to get through the security checkpoints. And remember to use caution when bringing alcohol into to some Middle Eastern countries for travel to the Red Sea.
- If you are not a frequent flyer member and don't have access to Premier Lounges, you may find some clubs will allow for day purchases. It may be worth the extra cost (say 420 to $50) to get out of the crowd if you have a long layover.
Travel safe, dive safe and have great adventures…!
2016 DEMA Dive Show Group Specials
One of the most popular dive destinations in the Caribbean, well actually, more than one…!
Little Cayman Beach Resort and Brac Reef Resort are offering great group deals for 2016. Travel dates for both resorts are July 2 to December 17, 2016. Contact us for group deals and free of charge spaces for groups of 10.
Little Cayman Beach Resort
Little Cayman Beach Resort package includes 7 nights accommodations, 12 boat dives (6 2-tank dive days), three gourmet buffet meals daily, airport ground transfers, and welcome rum cocktail. Pool view $1695 per person, Ocean View $1943 per person group rates. Ask about free of charge (FOC) spaces and our discount rates.
Brac Reef Beach Resort
Brac Reef Beach Resort has recently been remodelled and they are ready to show off their improved facilities. Diving is still provided by Reef Divers, known for their "valet service." Your package includes 7 nights accommodations in a beach view room, 12 boat dives (6 2-tank dive days), three gourmet buffet meals daily, airport ground transfers, and a welcome rum cocktail. Get this package for $1425 per person double diver occupancy. Meet us in the bar for a "K" beer or a yummy mudslide.
Playa Escondida Resort - Sayulita, Mexico
We are starting to post some short videos to our YouTube channel. We are playing with our GoPro and having a blast. We have yet to be able to schedule any dives but really enjoying the resort, the beach and the pool. This is an amazing resort….!
Liquid Diving Adventures YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSexlRqk3GnjxOMw0ZAJOqA
Manta Ray Bay Resort - Manta Mania 2016
Citizen Science Eco-Tourism Week - February 7-14, 2016
Get involved…! Join a manta ray conservation party on an upgraded luxury vacation package at Manta Ray Bay Resort. Yap is one of several research sites with Manta Trust - for one week leading manta ray and shark scientists will host a "hands-on" citizen science field research symposium and media event.
“This is an rare opportunity for divers to dive with manta rays together with the scientists who study them. You’ll get to see the type of equipment we use, how we gather information and how its processed. We planned this event to take place during manta mating season, the most active time of year where close interaction with multiple animals is nearly assured - we are hoping to get a lot of valuable information. During the day you’ll dive with mantas and over the pristine reefs surrounding Yap, in the afternoon you’ll attend workshops to learn about megafauna, and in the evening you get to see pictures of these amazing animals. Not only will you be learning about mantas but also their very close relatives the mobula, sharks and other marine mammals. We hope everyone will come away from this experience awed by the ocean and its creatures with a deep appreciation for Yap and love for it’s people and culture."
Join Julie Hartup, Guy Stevens, Vanessa Jaiteh, and Steve Lindfield for a week of diving, symposiums, and hand-on experiences with mantas and sharks around Yap.
Packages are $1699 for standard room, $1799 for ocean view and $1999 for deluxe ocean view. Rates are per person double diver occupancy. Contact us for complete details.
- Manta ray awareness workshops, field research events and diving with leading scientists
- Shark feed specialty, mating Mandarin fish and night dives
- 1 three tank dive day with lunch in a Yapese village
- Complimentary Wake-up service w/ coffee & tea
- Culture Tour in a Yapese village center
- Private beach BBQ on Saturday
- Photo and video workshops
- Daily breakfast buffet
- Double occupancy room
- Airport transfers
Carpe Vita Liveaboard
Maldives Deep South Shark Itinerary
February 28 to March 10, 2016
We have one (1) remaining male share cabin on the popular Carpe Vita on a Maldives Deep South Shark itinerary. The charter departs Male and ends in Addu. The charter rate includes domestic return airfare from Addu to Male. Check out the itinerary map below. Ask for our discounted rate on this charter. Published rates listed below are in USD:
Green Tax $66 payable onboard
Fuel surcharge $100 payable onboard
Nitrox $200 payable onboard
Pearl of Papua Liveaboard
20% OFF * * Last Minute Spaces October & November 2015 * * 20% OFF
We have some very limited spaces available on the popular Pearl of Papua liveaboard for trips to Raja Ampat this October and November. Discounted pricing on these cruises listed below. These trips are to Raja Ampat North itinerary and depart from and return to Sorong.
- October 13-20 (7 night charter) lower deck Seahorse cabin 4 available for male share - NOW $264 per night, was $330
- October 13-20 (7 night charter) Manta Suite available for female share - NOW $288 per night, was $360
- November 19-29 (10 night charter) lower deck Seahorse cabin 3 available for male share - NOW $264 per night, was $360
- November 19-29 (10 night charter) upper deck Trevally deluxe cabin 1 available - NOW $280 per person per night, was $350
- November 19-29 (10 night charter) Manta Suite available for female share - NOW $288 per night, was $330
Don Questo Liveaboard Sudan
She's not the most beautiful ship, but she's reliable and stable in rough seas…!
The Don Questo was built in Selby (England) in 1964 as a trawling vessel. In 1984 she was transformed into an oceanographic research vessel under the Italian flag. In 1991 she had a complete overhaul but it was in 1998 that the Don Questo was fitted out to become a diving liveaboard ship. The Don Questo is the only ship running in Sudan that has a one-person recompression chamber on board. The Don Questo is running 4 different itineraries, the Northern Route, Central Route, Southern Route, and the Deep South.
Charter rates (Yes, we discount)
- Central Cruise (1 week): 1.050 €
- Two-week Cruise: 2.050 €
- Deep South Cruise (2 weeks): 2.250 €
- Mini Deep South Cruise (1 week): 1.200 €
- Single cabin: 500 € pp per week
- Sudanese Visa: 65 €
- Sudanese Taxes: 185 € (1 week) – 250 € (2 weeks)
- Accommodation in double cabins, full board
- Water, coffee and tea
- Transfers and attendance in Port Sudan
- Unlimited dives (depending upon conditions)
Dewi Nusantara Liveaboard
Raja Ampat Dec 28, 2015 to Jan 08, 2016
* * * SAVE $1000 Per Person * * *
We have a last minute cancellation on the Dewi Nusantara on a charter to Raja Ampat. This cabin is available at a discount of $1000 per person. Published rate is $5775 USD per person, our rate is $4775 USD per person plus fees. Contact us fast…!
What better place to celebrate the New Year. Your fireworks will be the explosion of color and the myriad of critters in the undersea world of Raja Ampat.
Arenui Liveaboard Indonesia Charters
Komodo Focus 2016
Raja Ampat 2017
We have two amazing charters on the Arenui, one of the finest liveaboards in Indonesia. Our dates are 29 July to 09 August, 2016 for the Komodo Focus trip and December 12-22, 2017 for the Raja Ampat trip.
Discounted rates are available, just ask. Published rates are as follows:
- Komodo Focus 12 Days $6,270 per person plus fees - ask for discount
- Raja Ampat 11 days $5,900 per person plus fees - ask for discount
If you are looking for a dive adventure to the Galapagos, look no further than the newly-launched Nortada. We have limited availability for 2015 with some last minute dates:
- October 30 to November 6, 2015
- November 13 to November 20, 2015
Charters include: 12l / 80cft air cylinder, weights and weight belt; All dives and land visits where allowed; All meals including International and Ecuadorian food, water and juices, coffee, herbal tea; Personalized service. Published rates for these high season charters are $4938 USD per person. As always, ask for our discounted price.